- Can be used in several different situations. See the examples below.
- Most commonly used in referring to a machine that stops working.
EXAMPLES: to break down
- Has your car ever broken down at night on a country road?
Yes. But the road service company came quickly and towed me to a garage in the city. CLICK & LISTEN.
- The Police had to break down the door to get into the apartment.
- The photocopy machine broke down this morning.
- I broke down and started crying when I heard that my best friend had been seriously injured in an auto accident.
- We broke down the sales numbers in order to better understand what the problem was.
- You take a big problem and break it down into several smaller ones.
Where do I put the pronoun?
- break + pronoun + down +
The spreadsheet is too complicated!
Break it down into to several smaller ones.
- break + down + pronoun x