UPDATED: AUGUST 2020
ESL GRAMMAR RULE:
- Suggest is never followed by an object pronoun (me, us, you, etc.), and it is never followed by an "infinitive verb"
- suggest that + (you, he, she, Bill, Mary) + verb < - must have the verb
- suggest + verb + ing
- INCORRECT: Can you suggest me a good French restaurant in Las Vegas?
- CORRECT: Can you suggest a good French restaurant in Las Vegas?
- CORRECT: I suggested that he study more and play less.
- CORRECT: I suggested studying more and playing less.
- INCORRECT: I suggested him work less and play more."
- REMEMBER: You are giving someone an idea or your thoughts about something.
- He suggested that I study English in Dallas. < CLICK & LISTEN
- He suggested studying English in Dallas.
- I suggest that you change the way you study English.
- I suggest you change the way you study English.
- Why did she suggest that we not buy an imported French car?
- My teacher suggested that I practice speaking more. < CLICK & LISTEN
- Can you suggest a good hotel in Rio?
- What do you suggest I buy my wife for her birthday?
- Can you suggest an easy way to learn English?
- If all this information about "to suggest" is driving you crazy, I suggest you have a glass of wine.